Sponsor: VoiceMeUp - Corporate & Wholesale VoIP Services

VoIP Mailing List Archives
Mailing list archives for the VoIP community
 SearchSearch 

[Freeswitch-users] mod_python sqlalchemy core dumps ( .)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tleyden at branchcut.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] mod_python sqlalchemy core dumps ( .) Reply with quote

I've used Django/psycopg + mod_python successfully in production and it never crashes. (never tried sqlalchemy).

One thing you could try is to remove the hangup hook. That has been problematic in the past and not well tested AFAIK. I doubt that's the problem but you never know.

Also please load the core dump in gdb and post a backtrace.. maybe that will reveal something interesting. (or maybe it won't). Actually you might want to put it in a jira bug in case it becomes an involved debugging process.

Quote:

I've spent hours hunting through related lists: mod_python (for
apache), sqlalchemy, etc. but all to no avail. Any suggestions or
alternatives ( I've also started looking into outbound event socket,
but there still seems to be few people using this with python/twisted
) will be greatly appreciated.

Yeah an outbound event socket framework in python would be really cool. Ideally you could write a script in the same style as mod_python scripts, and the framework behind it would handle all the communication with the switch. Kamealia might be a bettter networking library than Twisted for this one.

HTH
tleyden at branchcut.com

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] mod_python sqlalchemy core dumps ( .) Reply with quote

Quote:

Hi,
It seems (still need to run a few more tests to be sure) you have
completely solved my problem. This had been driving me nuts for the
last several days, and I can't tell you how helpful this simple
suggestion was!

Cool! And sorry you got all "hung up" on the hangup hooks. mod_python has a narrow testing record. Certain things have been tested heavily and are known to work reliably, but once you veer off the path, you are vulnerable to potential bugs like the one you saw.

Quote:

Maybe it's worth adding something to the freeswitch mod_python wiki
page about this?

Yeah definitely. I updated the wiki with warnings to hopefully save the next guy the headache. That hangup hook function should probably be removed until its known to work reliably.

Quote:
I still don't know exactly why this causes a core
dump, and it seems to work ok, as long as there is nothing else
interacting with it (e.g. sqlalchemy),

If you can get a good core dump it might reveal something. Maybe a clean build or something .. I thought it was built with debugging symbols by default. Also you should call gdb freeswitch core.1234 (2nd arg should be freeswitch binary) if you are not already.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: