Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

I'm new to freeswitch.

Is there a vxml parser for freeswitch?

Doug.
Back to top
gilbertandrew at mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

Quick answer, it's a switch/b2bua and not a vxml parser.

Longer answer involves questions about what you are trying to do.

If you need quick voice apps, check out the many options including js, lua, python, liverpie, etc. It is a rich set of options and much of this may be more appropriate / productive than full vxml dependent on requirements.

If you have a hard requirement / need for vxml might check out voiceglue.org. This is an asterisk related project, but in theory and with some effort who knows.

brian at freeswitch.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

But that doesn't keep us from doing such a thing as an application
interface. Wink

/b

dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

Well, the same could be said about Asterisk and yet there are third part vxml parsers (although not very good) available for it.

I have developers that want to write voice applications directly in vxml. They want to use vxml, not js, lua, python or anything else. That's a hard requirement.

I'm surprised freeswitch doesn't have this available. Being able to rapidly deploy voice applications with vxml doesn't seem like an unusual requirement.

Doug.

edpimentl at gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

Here..
The most active VoiceXML projects...
http://jvoicexml.sourceforge.net/
http://jvoicexml.sourceforge.net/documentation.htm
http://www.commetrex.com/products/ctmiddleware/bladewarevxml.html
-E
Back to top
msc at freeswitch.org
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

Doug,

Welcome to FreeSWITCH! BTW, I owe you a thank you because I first heard of FS from one of your posts to the asterisk users list. Smile

FS is definitely designed to be extensible. In fact, one night when Tony was ticked off about a post earlier in the day, he whipped up mod_yaml in three hours! However, I don't believe anyone has yet sung the virtues of VXML to the point of imploring the devs to add it, nor has anyone put up a bounty.

My guess is that VXML would be added at some point. It will happen more quickly if Tony doesn't have to do it gratis if know what I mean.

Hey are you still a Python guy? Just curious if you have played with mod_python or wikipbx yet.

-MC

Sent from my iPhone

gilbertandrew at mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

I am just an observer of FS.  What I am impressed with is the extensibility. And I am curious about xml models (vxml, proprietary xml) vs scripting (lua, python, etc). That is why I asked.

That said, sounds like the pieces are all waiting for the right motivation and resource set. I can't rule out helping, but can't promise much yet either.

Lastly, curious about the "not very good" part or your response. Is this a reference to OpenVXI or one of it's derivatives?

(and wikipbx does look cool....)

msc at freeswitch.org
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 4:12 AM, Andrew Gilbert <gilbertandrew@mac.com (gilbertandrew@mac.com)> wrote:
Quote:

I am just an observer of FS. What I am impressed with is the extensibility. And I am curious about xml models (vxml, proprietary xml) vs scripting (lua, python, etc). That is why I asked.

I'm sure they're all possible, but it's a matter of supply and demand. Demand has thus far been very low for things like VXML so the supply hasn't been established, at least not yet. If enough people want it then it will definitely happen. Critical mass and all that.

Quote:

That said, sounds like the pieces are all waiting for the right motivation and resource set. I can't rule out helping, but can't promise much yet either.

Well said. We hope you can help out, even if it's just by using the software and offering feedback.

Quote:

Lastly, curious about the "not very good" part or your response. Is this a reference to OpenVXI or one of it's derivatives?

(and wikipbx does look cool....)

If you like that then check out tcapi.org. Smile

-MC

Quote:

dougmig33 at yahoo.com
Guest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

Thanks.

Maybe I need to go and get my hands more dirty, but how would freeswitch interface to this?

Doug.

gilbertandrew at mac.com
Guest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] VxML Parser? Reply with quote

It looks like there are 2 viable vxml parser projects, listed here. The commetrex project is a close relative if not simply OpenVxi. The rev at CMU is older, but the one on SourceForge appears semi-current (3.4). This is also what is being used by VoiceGlue, an integration with Asterisk.

The jvoicexml project is java based and doesn't look to be as far along in terms of tag support. So I spent a few minutes with OpenVXI.

OpenVxi has a set of interfaces one needs to support to make a full fledged voice browser. Some are provided in the reference implementation, such as logging, etc. Others need to be provided, for example call control (VXItel.h), prompting (VXIprompt.h), etc.

Seems like this would all be possible using something like event socket and glue code to implement the required OpenVXI interfaces. Call control and prompting sure seem possible that way. But I would really want someone from FS to comment on whether that makes sense.

If I get more bandwidth over next few days I will try to get OpenVXI built and explore more. But again, having some input from FS devs would be great.

Andy