Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
klaus.teller at gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

It's me again with a DTMF issue. Here is what's going on. I have a remote IVR and i'm writing some code to communicate with it, exercise it, and test it. The remote IVR is playing DTMF as inband.

Right now, Freeswitch can detect all DTMF digits from the IVR. The interaction between my code and the IVR is essentially a combination of playing files and sending and reading DTMFs.

The issue: whenever my code plays a file or send a DTMF digit, the following attempt to read DTMF fails. By failing i mean that there will be a spurious DTMF detected by Freeswitch that was not sent by the IVR.

That is, if i have something like:

sendDTMF("3"); getDigits("38373", "#"); // # is the termination character

After executing the sendDTMF, getDigits fails because it immediately detects a pound. Yet this pound is not sent by the IVR. I can check this by having wireshark running both on the IVR's computer and on Freeswitch's computer.

Any idea what may be causing this problem? Is there some sort of Echo going on or something like that?

Thanks,
Klaus.

--

Back to top
anthony.minessale at g...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

gather a console log at debug level and a trace of the event_socket traffic.

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Klaus Teller <klaus.teller@gmx.net (klaus.teller@gmx.net)> wrote:
[...]

Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
pstn:213-799-1400
Back to top
brian at freeswitch.org
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

Inband DTMF on voip isn't the most reliable thing in the first
place... anyway to use RFC2833 or SIP Info?

/b

klaus.teller at gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

HI,

I'm attaching the console log and event-socket traffic. In the latter case, i gathered only the last few Digits (including the spurious one).

I also have the wireshark trace that i can send you off the list if you wish.

We ran the same IVR (VoiceXML App) with a platform that supports RFC2833 i didn't have this problem. With this platform we unfortunately don't have this feature available.

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:
Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:14:02 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org
Betreff: Re: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Klaus Teller <klaus.teller@gmx.net> wrote:

[...]

on or something like that?

Thanks,
Klaus.

--

--

MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com <MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com>
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org <sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org>
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org>
pstn:213-799-1400

--

Back to top
anthony.minessale at g...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

is the send dtmf inband as well?
did you try doing a pause after send dtmf to give it time to deliver it?
I still don't quite get what you are saying because i don't recognize the functions in your example.

for good measure i added 2 new commands to FS

the flush_dtmf application you can execute before playing the file

and the uuid_flush_dtmf api command you can send to an arbitrary uuid
maybe try those

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:14:02 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com (anthony.minessale@gmail.com)>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org (freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org)

MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email]) <MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%253Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])>

sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email]) <sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%253A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])>
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888

Quote:
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%253Aconf%252B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])>
pstn:213-799-1400

--

brian at freeswitch.org
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

Extract the RTP audio into wav/au files in wireshark and lets look at
them.

/b

On Nov 5, 2008, at 2:30 PM, Klaus Teller wrote:

Quote:
Hi Anthony,

Let me add some few facts.

1) I am sending DTMF using RFC2833 and the IVR is using Inband
2) The problem is not limited to when i send DTMF. It also happens
when i try to play a file.
3) The functions are from my java code. They send commands to
Freeswitch via socket interface.
4) The same functions are working perfectly when the remote IVR
sends DTMF via RFC2833.
5) I have a pause of 2000 ms after sending the DTMF.

Let me reformulate my problem. I have a spurious dtmf-# being
detected by freeswitch where nothing was sent by the other party.

The strange thing to me is that Wireschark (running on the same
machine as Freeswitch) detects the proper digit sequence.

Klaus.

Back to top

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:14:02 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Folks,

It's me again with a DTMF issue. Here is what's going on. I have a
remote
Quote:
IVR and i'm writing some code to communicate with it, exercise it,
and
Quote:
Quote:
test
Quote:
it. The remote IVR is playing DTMF as inband.

Right now, Freeswitch can detect all DTMF digits from the IVR. The
interaction between my code and the IVR is essentially a
combination
Quote:
of
Quote:
Quote:

http://www.freeswitch.org

--
Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com
<MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com><
MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com<MSN%253Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com>
<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com<PAYPAL%253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com>
Quote:
Quote:

IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org
<sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org><
sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org<sip%253A888@conference.freeswitch.org>
Quote:
Quote:

iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888

googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org>
<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org<googletalk%253Aconf%252B888@conference.freeswitch.org>
Quote:
Quote:

pstn:213-799-1400

--

--
Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com <MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com>
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org <sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org>
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org>
pstn:213-799-1400

--

Back to top
anthony.minessale at g...
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

dont forget to try what i said,
use the flush_dtmf before playback

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:14:02 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com (anthony.minessale@gmail.com)>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org (freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org)

MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%253Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])<MSN%253Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com ([email]MSN%25253Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com[/email])>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])>

Quote:
<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])<PAYPAL%253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com ([email]PAYPAL%25253Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com[/email])>
Quote:
Quote:

IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])
<sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%253A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])><

Quote:
sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%253A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])<sip%253A888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]sip%25253A888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])>
Quote:
Quote:

iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888

googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%253Aconf%252B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])>

Quote:
<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%253Aconf%252B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])<googletalk%253Aconf%252B888@conference.freeswitch.org ([email]googletalk%25253Aconf%25252B888@conference.freeswitch.org[/email])>
Quote:
Quote:

pstn:213-799-1400

--

klaus.teller at gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

OK, we made some progress on this issue. It appears that if we introduce 50ms delay between the reading (not playing) of the DTMF and the playing of the file (or the sending of DTMF), the problem doesn't occur. And if we place many such calls this delay needs to be increased.

What i suspect is happening is that there is some sort of race condition or interference between the event processing part of Freeswitch and the handling of synchronous commands such as sending dtmf. I recall Anthony saying few days ago that event delivery is paused when a command execution request arrives. So, would it be possible that command execution requests are able to interfere on the deliverying of events?

Thanks,
Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:
Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:35:16 -0600
Von: Brian West <brian@freeswitch.org>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

When you call send dtmf and it's rfc2833 you must sleep to give it a chance to send.
the variable last_dtmf_duration is always set on the channel with how long you should execute sleep
on the channel in the case of 2833

so call send_dtmf
execute sleep ${last_dtmf_duration}

klaus.teller at gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

I'm updating now and will try the flush dtmf. I yet have a hard time understanding how this is related to sending DTMF (instead of reading DTMF). This because:

1) The same problem appears when i replace sending DTMF with playing an audio file
2) Introducing a delay between READING Dtmf and playing the file prevents the issue to appear.

Ideas?

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:35:16 -0600
Von: Brian West <brian@freeswitch.org>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

[...]

Psssst! Schon vom neuen GMX MultiMessenger gehört? Der kann`s mit
allen:
Quote:
http://www.gmx.net/de/go/multimessenger

--
Anthony Minessale II

FreeSWITCH http://www.freeswitch.org/
ClueCon http://www.cluecon.com/

AIM: anthm
MSN:anthony_minessale@hotmail.com <MSN%3Aanthony_minessale@hotmail.com>
GTALK/JABBER/PAYPAL:anthony.minessale@gmail.com<PAYPAL%3Aanthony.minessale@gmail.com>
IRC: irc.freenode.net #freeswitch

FreeSWITCH Developer Conference
sip:888@conference.freeswitch.org <sip%3A888@conference.freeswitch.org>
iax:guest@conference.freeswitch.org/888
googletalk:conf+888@conference.freeswitch.org<googletalk%3Aconf%2B888@conference.freeswitch.org>
pstn:213-799-1400

--

Back to top
anthony.minessale at g...
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

you are one email behind i think.
Problem is that FS only sends 2833 while it's busy doing something so you have to keep FS reading audio to trigger the outbound dtmf.

jkr888 at gmail.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

Not sure if this is related or something totally different, I used to have dtmf detection problem with inband setup. One side sending digits with send_dtmf, and on the other side, detecting the digits. Both run freeswitch with custom script, and the call go over pstn carrier network. The receiving side always having problem on detecting these dtmf, But then it solved if I played some kind of audio file after "send_dtmf" command. So, I did something like these:

<action application="send_dtmf" data="12345#"/>
<action application="playback" data="sounds/500ms.wav"/>

Weirds, but at least solved my problem Wink

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:35:16 -0600
Von: Brian West <brian@freeswitch.org (brian@freeswitch.org)>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org (freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org)

[...]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

yes that's the same as my sleep explanation.

klaus.teller at gmx.net
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Inband DTMF Problem Reply with quote

OK. I updated and tried flushing the DTMFs before playing the commands and it works. Thanks.

Now, i feel there is a more general issue of scalability around DTMF (both inband as well as RFC2833) handling in Freeswitch. What do you guys think?

What i've been working on is a tool for testing voice applications. The tool connects via Freeswitch to the voice platform and simulates the behavior of the user. We've tried the tool with the most reliable voice platforms out there as well as with some less reliable.

What we observe is that in all cases, we can run 100 calls sequentially without problem. But as soon as we have 10 calls in parallel, digits start to get lost. Is this something you think should be expected?

I must note that there are a lot of DTMF reading and sending going on. In fact, the testing tool doesn't use voice recognition to assert whether the voice application is in the right state or not. Instead, we instrument the voice application to emit some DTMF sequences that are uniquely mapped to prompts. So there DTMF sequences are read by the testing tool to determine if the voice app is in the right state or not.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:
Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 21:34:46 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

<klaus.teller@gmx.net>wrote:
[...]

the issue to appear.

Ideas?

Klaus.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Quote:
Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 15:24:33 -0600
Von: "Anthony Minessale" <anthony.minessale@gmail.com>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

Quote:
When you call send dtmf and it's rfc2833 you must sleep to give it a
chance
to send.
the variable last_dtmf_duration is always set on the channel with
how
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
long
Quote:

wrote:
Quote:

Quote:
OK, we made some progress on this issue. It appears that if we
introduce
Quote:
Quote:
50ms delay between the reading (not playing) of the DTMF and the
playing
Quote:
of
Quote:
the file (or the sending of DTMF), the problem doesn't occur. And
if
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
we
Quote:
Quote:

Datum: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:35:16 -0600
Von: Brian West <brian@freeswitch.org>
An: freeswitch-users@lists.freeswitch.org

Quote:
Extract the RTP audio into wav/au files in wireshark and lets
look
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
[...]