Post new topic   Reply to topic    VoIP Mailing List Archives Forum Index -> freeSWITCH Users
View previous topic :: View next topic
Author Message
brian at freeswitch.com
Guest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Retiring the FreeSWITCH Mailing list Reply with quote

https://mailchi.mp/freeswitch.org/office-hours

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 2:56 PM Adrian Fretwell <adrian@a2es.co.uk (adrian@a2es.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:

Hi Brian,
I have learnt something - I wasn't aware of the twice monthly calls.
Despite having taught C programming many years ago, I no longer feel comfortable with it, however, I would be happy to help in maintaining mod_python if I could get a better insight into the module from one of the developers.  I noted the email addresses of the developers listed at the head or mod_python3.c but I would not want to email out of the blue as it were.
Where will I find details of the monthly calls?

Kind regards,

Adrian Fretwell

On 04/01/2023 20:41, Brian West wrote:

Quote:
Adrian,

We didn't write mod_python, we have gone in and tried to fix things related to it, but it wasn't something we focused on, I noticed you have a PR open on this topic, have you come to our twice monthly FreeSWITCH call to discuss?

/b

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 2:31 PM Adrian Fretwell <adrian@a2es.co.uk (adrian@a2es.co.uk)> wrote:

Quote:

Brian,
Before the list closes, can you point me in a direction where I may get some help with mod_python.  Most simple python scripts work with no issues but I have run into a few anomalies and dare I say bugs whilst trying to use python as an XML handler.
My guess is that very few use python or my questions have been too development orientated for this list.  I have pretty much given up on using python for XML handling, switching to mod_xml_curl instead, but I would like to continue being able to call python from the dialplan, however my difficulty in finding help with python in FreeSWITCH has made me concerned about future support for python.

Kind regards,

Adrian Fretwell

Enhance your FreeSWITCH install with disruptive priced SMS and PSTN services.
Build your next product on our scalable cloud platform.

Join our online community to chat in real time https://signalwire.community

Professional FreeSWITCH Services
sales@freeswitch.com (sales@freeswitch.com)
https://freeswitch.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
https://freeswitch.com/oss
https://freeswitch.org/confluence
https://cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@lists.freeswitch.org (FreeSWITCH-users@lists.freeswitch.org)
https://freeswitch.com

--

Brian West | Co-founder and Developer
Need Commercial support? email sales@freeswitch.com (sales@freeswitch.com)

Quote:
[...]

Back to top
freeswitch-users at li...
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:29 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Retiring the FreeSWITCH Mailing list Reply with quote

Good callout, we're actually working on a community page on the site
rounding up all the spaces (forum, Slack, subreddit, events, etc) in one
place so everyone has a quick ref for where and how to get help.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 1:21 PM TTT <lists@telium.io> wrote:

Quote:
As someone new to FS I too have found it hard to get info on how to reach
out to anyone…maybe the website needs and update to show
community/communication options

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 2:31 PM Adrian Fretwell <adrian@a2es.co.uk> wrote:

[...]

<https://maps.google.com/?q=17345+Civic+Drive+%232531+Brookfield,+WI+53045&entry=gmail&source=g>

Email: brian@freeswitch.com

Mobile: 918-424-9378

Website: https://www.FreeSWITCH.com <https://www.freeswitch.com/>

[image: Image removed by sender.
https://www.facebook.com/signalwireinc?src=email]
<https://www.facebook.com/freeswitch>[image: Image removed by sender.
https://twitter.com/freeswitch] <https://twitter.com/freeswitch>

[...]

  *|*  Put video conferencing on your website or in your app with
*SignalWire P <http://goog_740140698>**rogrammable Video Conferences
<https://signalwire.com/products/programmable-video-conferencing>*

------ End of attached email ------
Enhance your FreeSWITCH install with disruptive priced SMS and PSTN services.
Build your next product on our scalable cloud platform.

Join our online community to chat in real time https://signalwire.community

Professional FreeSWITCH Services
sales@freeswitch.com
https://freeswitch.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
https://freeswitch.com/oss
https://freeswitch.org/confluence
https://cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@lists.freeswitch.org
https://freeswitch.com
Back to top
freeswitch-users at li...
Guest

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Retiring the FreeSWITCH Mailing list Reply with quote

John, sounds like you're running into a couple of issues with signup - will
you send me an email separately? I'm an admin and will do my best to get
your account set up.

Clive, please let us know if you do run into any issues with the forum and
your screen reader! If you like, you can also set up your account so you
get an hourly, daily, or weekly digest email with new forum topics so you
don't have to remember to check in. It's under Preferences, then Emails.
You'll have to log in once every 180 days to refresh the 'are you still
listening?' timer and keep the emails coming, just FYI.

Gregor, yes! Definitely more searchable, both from Google and the forum
itself.

If anyone else is running into issues or wants to talk about the decision
to move to a forum versus the mailing list, feel free to respond here or
shoot me an email.

*Alexandra Rowell | Community Manager*

Email: alexandra.rowell@signalwire.com

On Wed, Jan 4, 2023 at 2:30 AM Gregor Nanger <gregor@infomedia.si> wrote:

Quote:
Will forum be indexed by Google?

On Wed, 4 Jan 2023 at 06:15, John Covici <covici@ccs.covici.com> wrote:

Quote:
Another problem I seem to have is that your forum does not work with
my password manager -- I am using lastpass.

On Tue, 03 Jan 2023 16:26:06 -0500,
Brian West wrote:
Quote:

[1 <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
[1.1 <text/plain; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
FreeSWITCHers,

Most of you already know me, but for anyone that doesn’t - I’m one of
the
Quote:
founders of FreeSWITCH, and I’m the primary administrator for the
mailing
Quote:
list.

This mailing list has served the community well for almost 15 years
now. As
Quote:
the mailing list has grown continuously larger and been stretched to the
limits of its capabilities, it has been running into bigger issues.
Especially in the last year, we’ve seen numerous issues that prevent
people
Quote:
from joining and participating – bounces, unintended unsubscribes, spam
filtering, and more.

We didn’t want to shut down the mailing list without having a
replacement
Quote:
set up, and a forum was the obvious choice – the community has been
requesting a proper forum for years now. In addition to being more
easily
Quote:
accessible and searchable, we hope the forum will simply be a better
experience for everyone using it compared to the mailing list.

To join the new forum, visit forum.signalwire.community - it uses SSO
from
Quote:
your free SignalWire account, which allows us to be more lenient with
moderation because we've got an assumed level of trust, and also reduces
the overall level of spam in the forums. We've got the forum set so you
can
Quote:
view without an account, so check it out with no obligation.

If you’d like to receive updates via email, you can set that up in your
user preferences on the forum. You can even reply to forum topics via
email, though you’ll need to visit the forum to start a new topic (top
level post). Also note the digest/summary emails will stop sending if
you
Quote:
don’t log into the site periodically: currently you need to log in every
180 days.

Not interested in the forum, but still looking for community spaces?
You’re
Quote:
welcome to join our Community Slack <
https://slack.signalwire.community/>,
Quote:
join the subreddit <https://www.reddit.com/r/freeswitch/>, or attend
our Office
Quote:
Hours <https://mailchi.mp/freeswitch.org/office-hours>.

If you want to continue using the mailing list until we sunset it,
you’re
Quote:
welcome to do so. We’ve disabled new sign ups as of today, and we’ll
formally stop supporting it as of March 15, 2023. This should give
everyone
Quote:
plenty of time to set up in our other community spaces.

Thanks,

/b

--

Brian West | Co-founder and Developer

Email: brian@freeswitch.com
[1.2 <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]
[2 <text/plain; utf-8 (base64)>]

Quote:
Enhance your FreeSWITCH install with disruptive priced SMS and PSTN
services.
Quote:
Build your next product on our scalable cloud platform.

Join our online community to chat in real time
https://signalwire.community
Quote:

Professional FreeSWITCH Services
sales@freeswitch.com
https://freeswitch.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
https://freeswitch.com/oss
https://freeswitch.org/confluence
https://cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@lists.freeswitch.org
UNSUBSCRIBE:
http://lists.freeswitch.org/mailman/options/freeswitch-users
Quote:
https://freeswitch.com

--
How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com
Enhance your FreeSWITCH install with disruptive priced SMS and PSTN
services.
Build your next product on our scalable cloud platform.

Join our online community to chat in real time
https://signalwire.community

Professional FreeSWITCH Services
sales@freeswitch.com
https://freeswitch.com

Official FreeSWITCH Sites
https://freeswitch.com/oss
https://freeswitch.org/confluence
https://cluecon.com

FreeSWITCH-users mailing list
FreeSWITCH-users@lists.freeswitch.org
https://freeswitch.com

--
Gregor Nanger

*CTO*
t./f.: 00386 (0) 7 6000 308/309 • m:. 00386 (0)41 756485
• Infomedia d.o.o. • Jerebova 3, Novo mesto, Slovenia
www.infomedia.si

clive at lansink.co.nz
Guest

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: [Freeswitch-users] Retiring the FreeSWITCH Mailing list Reply with quote

Interesting.

I don't recall a CAPTCHA when I set up my Signalwire account, but that could have changed since then. I recently joined the forum after I logged in to Signalwire, and it didn't require a CAPTCHA. So maybe start by setting up a Signalwire account first, or finding your old account and logging in.

But wherever a CAPTCHA is required, people should take care to use one that is as non-discriminatory as possible. I quite like Google's reCAPTCHA. I have implemented this myself on a couple of websites so I can say it is quite easy to do. Older implementations require the user to check a box to say they are not a robot, and this triggers something at the back end to verify whether this is true. But newer implementations now make this assessment completely in the background so the user doesn't have to do anything.

Cheers.

Clive Lansink
Email: Clive@Lansink.Co.NZ
Phone: +64 9 520-4242